Sunday, May 31, 2009

A day at the beach

Yesterday was an *AWESOME* day. The weather was perfect for a trip to Manchester-by-the-Sea and it’s neighboring towns of Magnolia and Gloucester for some hiking, rock climbing (well, kind of) and just watching the ocean do its thing. We also had a few history lessons along the way.

When Dennis and I first moved to Boston, I got a job first. So I moved out here three months before him and lived in a house that my friend from high school (Steve) was living in. He works for a company that contracts work out all over the country, so he’s on the road a lot. For the entire summer I practically lived on my own, but it was in Gloucester right by the beach so I couldn’t complain too much.

So Dennis and I have always felt this place was special because it was the beginnings of our lives in Massachusetts. And my is it gorgeous up there!

I didn’t take too many pictures of my eats, but I started my day out with an oatmeal pancake and some coffee.

IMG_1551

And cafe con soy milk (ha typical use of spanglish for you)

IMG_1554

I just LOVE this breakfast!!

I actually owe you guys some eats from Friday—I made an awesome asparagus, hummus and goat cheese burrito for dinner Friday…

IMG_1545

I used the leftover asparagus from the other night and wrapped it up in a whole wheat wrap.

IMG_1544

And I ate it with a cup of Amy’s Black Bean Vegetable soup. (YUM!) 

IMG_1538

Honestly, as much as I love goat cheese, I think this would have been better with a more solid, saltier cheese like Feta or even Swiss. The goat cheese was good but it mushed in with the hummus too much I think. But it was still a kick ass dinner!

And of course, I HAD to have my new fav yogurt parfait:

IMG_1549

  • 1/2 TJ’s 2% Greek yogurt
  • 4 crushed graham crackers (I use the Low Fat kind…they’re a little drier)
  • A handful of blackberries

I love this stuff! The graham crackers give it a “crust” feeling. So good!

OK, so back to the beach!

We spent about 4 hours just walking around and exploring yesterday and it was awesome. We haven’t been able to do anything like this for a while now with Dennis being so sick so it was just amazing to be able to get back out there! We took just under 200 pictures! Here’s a preview:

IMG_1562 IMG_1586

IMG_1573 IMG_1627

IMG_1661 IMG_1647

IMG_1689 IMG_1652

IMG_1695 IMG_1641

I’m realizing now that about half of the pictures aren’t uploaded on my computer! I have to grab the ones from Gloucester—there’s so many more I didn’t post! But you get the idea. It was a great day.

And I love how Dennis was wearing his Pleepeus shirt! I got him that shirt for Christmas. If any of you have ever seen the show Three Sheets, you’d appreciate the humor.

Oh and just in case you’re wondering how we got all the pictures of ourselves—we have a timer on my camera. So we found places to set the camera up and took self timed pictures. It was actually quite funny watching Dennis run back and forth (until we realized we could change the timing from 10 seconds to 20) This was just another part of the trip that made it so much fun!

Anyway, we hiked through some woods, we climbed some rocks to get to the “obscure” parts of the beaches, and I’ll admit, we got ourselves a great workout. And worked up an appetite!

While we were out and about, I ate a banana and one of those low fat Quaker granola bars. It was enough to keep me going, although when we got home at around 6 I was pretty hungry.

So I made the second half (a little less than a cup) of my Black Bean Veggie soup and we ordered from the Newbridge Cafe in Chelsea (where we live)

Everyone’s been raving to us about how amazing this place is, so we decided to give it a shot.

I ordered the Turkey Tips and a baked potato. I ate about 1/3 of my tips and half of my potato (trust me, they give you A LOT of food)

IMG_1748

I am still having a hard time getting my food to photograph nicely. I can take other kinds of pictures (such as the ones above) but food is tough! There are three turkey tips and half a baked potato on my plate. On the potato I used a tbsp of sour cream and a tbsp of roasted garlic hummus for the extra creaminess and flavor and it was awesome! Next time I’ll skip the sour cream and just go with the hummus! It was THAT GOOD! And anything to avoid sour cream and butter … it makes it much healthier.

Even after ALL THIS FOOD I wanted soft serve ice cream. God it’s been YEARS since I’ve had soft soft ice cream! So Dennis and I got back in the car to make a trip to our local Dairy King (Yes, I said Dairy King) for a soft serve vanilla hot fudge sundae.

IMG_1749

As good as it was I couldn’t finish it, but I ate about 2/3 of it….so quickly I couldn’t take a picture of it in action!

So yeah yesterday was an awesome day!

Today I’m planning to go for a Hills run….ugh….I haven’t been doing enough hill training and I know the course of my 15K involves a good amount of them so instead of running a long run I’m going to do 2 loops around Breakheart Reservation. The outer loop is 2.9 miles long so I’m planning to run just under 6 miles, but only half of it is hilly. I think it will be a good practice run for me. And if I’m not feeling the whole 6 miles I can always use the inner loop the second time around, which is 1.9 miles long and cut the run by a mile. No biggie. I’ll be sure to let you all know how this run goes…I’m already planning on JUST RUNNING and not worrying about time—you’re not supposed to run hills fast!!

I hope you’re enjoying your weekend!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment