Thursday, June 25, 2009

Black bean chili and umbrella etiquette

Since we have seen rain most of the month of June in Boston I found that not only do you have to have to learn how to deal with those who cannot drive, but you also have to learn to deal with those who cannot properly share the street with an umbrella in hand.
Here’s my theory. If you’re walking with an umbrella, pay attention. So many times people walk right into you or push you off the sidewalk because they don’t have the courtesy to look up while they’re walking. Come on people! I need to start teaching umbrella etiquette 101 with some of you!

I was sure to make today an IT band day, although I’m still waiting for my foam roller to arrive.

Workouts:

Wednesday: 5K in 29:27. Plus I walked about 4 miles on top of that running between appointments on campus and taking the long way to the train.

Thursday: Three mile walk after work and IT Band strength training plus some ab work, minus the foam roller. My run is coming up soon so I have to make sure I get this under control!! I really didn’t eat too much for all of the exercise I did yesterday (I was way too busy and just so tired-I got home at 7 and went to bed by 9:30)  but boy did I make up for that today. As soon as I woke up I was starving, and this didn’t go away…every two to three hours the hunger was just waiting.

Before I ran out of the house this morning I chopped up some veggies to make some spicy black bean chili from my Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker book. This recipe was AWESOME! Even Dennis liked it, although at first he was concerned that there would be no meat involved. The Crock Pot is a wonderful thing, my friends…

The Recipe:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 chopped yellow onion
  • 1 medium sized red bell pepper, seeed and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp chili powder (I only used one and it was pretty damn spicy)
  • 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained (I didn’t use this. We can’t be too spicy around here)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the onion, pepper, and garlic, covered, on medium heat for about 5 minutes (until soft) Stir in the chili powder and cook for about 30 seconds longer.
Transfer the mixture into a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

IMG_2153 
I chopped up 1/2 of a small avocado and dropped about a tbsp of plain Greek yogurt in for creaminess and DAMN this was good.

IMG_2154 
Nice and thick, spicy but not TOO spicy, and the avocado and yogurt gave it a nice, smooth, silky texture. YUM!

I absolutely love my slow cooker. I think they are the best thing ever. If you can’t cook, just use a Crockpot and no one will ever know! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment