Sunday, June 7, 2009

How to properly detoxify?

I’m preparing myself mentally for my 9.2 mile run this morning. I actually have a headache but I’m hoping it’s nothing my Aleve Cold and Sinus can’t get rid of. (The summertime sucks for my allergies)
I decided to start my day out with a pumpkin oatmeal pancake:

IMG_1902 IMG_1903

So yeah, it doesn’t look very fancy. I’m still trying to work through the pumpkin addition of this recipe. I only added 2 tbsp of pumpkin this time to see if that would work, but it’s still too much. Maybe next time I’ll only use one tbsp. of the pumpkin. It was just too dense and it didn’t want to cook nicely, but overall I enjoyed the flavor. 

Recipe:

  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 banana
  • 2 tbsp. canned pumpkin
  • Topped with a little more than 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1 tbsp. 0% vanilla Chobani for dipping.

Overall it was very filling and I’m sure it will keep me going on my run.

So I have a question about fasting that I’m hoping to get some responses on. I had a long conversation with a friend about how she feels that fasting is necessary to keep our bodies healthy. We’re not talking anything crazy, she said she feels fasting for 24 hours at least once a month is a great way to get rid of toxins and ridding ourselves of disease. She discussed the mind over matter aspect of fasting, and how it helps you to live longer and look younger. I too found some of the reading evidence she spoke of, and mostly these are Eastern religious folks who discuss their passion to reach nirvana. I’m not that deep, so I’m not sure I would get that far.

The idea of fasting doesn’t sound wonderful to me at all, but I do know so many people who have done it. My brother-in-law used to fast once a week (every Tuesday to be exact) but has since stopped. I’m not sure if he does it at all anymore, I couldn’t get a hold of him to ask. But I also knew a few people in college that used to fast at least once a month. Maybe I’m missing something?

I am not saying I think we should start starving ourselves. I just want to know what all the fuss is about, and if it truly is essential to health. Also, if there is another, more appealing healthy way to detoxify or cleanse the body, what would you suggest?

This conversation came up because my stomach has been way off these past few weeks to the point where I seriously have to think twice before I eat…I’m talking about the good things too such as veggies and fruit, since they seem to be bothering me the most right now. Heartburn, gas, bloating, etc. have been taking over my life for way too long and I’d like to get to the bottom of it (This is a problem I have had for as long as I can remember. I hoped that changing my diet to be more wholesome and natural would help.)

I’m off to run the Charles on this lovely Sunday morning! 

PS-Dylan didn’t want to get out of bed this morning to join me…

IMG_1166

No comments:

Post a Comment