Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Utterly and completely star struck!

The COOLEST thing happened to me today! I got to meet some of the players from the Boston Breakers today!!

Now, those of you who know me know that I’ve been playing soccer since the 6th grade. I played in college as well, and still play on summer adult outdoor leagues and if I’m feeling like spending the extra cash, indoor leagues as well (I LOVE indoor soccer) I follow pro soccer (especially women’s soccer) so it’s no surprise that this made my freakin day.

Here’s how it happened…I was walking through Harvard Yard, minding my own business, when I was approached by Heather Mitts. She asked me if I knew where the “statue that people rub for good luck” was. Of course, I said, “The John Harvard statue…it’s right over there.” I pointed right to it. She then asked if I lived in the dorms, to which I said, “No…” with a confused look on my face. I saw that they were walking around with pieces of paper trying to cross things off … a scavenger hunt?
As I started to watch the rest of the team run toward John Harvard’s foot, it hit me….Holy SHIT! That’s Heather MITTS! Member of the US Women’s Soccer team! These are the Boston Breakers!!

<Insert freak-out here>

Then I saw Amy Rodriguez, a member of the US Women’s National Team along with Heather Mitts. I became a fan of Amy a few years ago when I noticed she was a very young member of the team. I also followed her in 2007 where she lead USC to the national title. Needless to say, I was a ball of excitement. And a complete nerd.
I pointed at Heather Mitts as she was walking toward the statue and said, “DUDE!! You’re….I know….I know who….” I couldn’t get it out. She smiled, and then I heard one of the women say, “Is she a student? Can we interview her?”

Interview ME????

OK. Now here’s where it starts to get a little fuzzy. They asked if they could interview me for their scavenger hunt. I, of course, said, “SURE!!” and immediately had a camera being pointed at me.
Heather Mitts is now on camera with me, asking me questions…
"Who are the Boston Breakers?” she asks.
"A soccer team…you guys…” I respond.
“OK good! Now, can you name a player on the team?”
Shit…I know she’s Heather Mitts, but for some reason I’m thinking Heather Mills and I KNOW that’s not her. So, in a panic, I said something like this…
”Yes, of course…And … I feel bad because I SO know who you are, but the first name that’s coming to my head is Amy Rodriguez!!” To which Amy starts jumping up and down and screams out “WOO that’s awesome!” And then comes and gives me a hug….or something like that…I was still in a state of shock….

The next thing I know, they’re all saying “Thanks for your help!!” and running away….while I’m still standing there in front of John Harvard with my camera thinking “Wait! Don’t GO! Come back! I want a picture! Where are you goooinnnggggg???”

Like a complete nerd, I called Dennis, my sister, my mom…anyone who would completely understand my total love for soccer and my complete and utter awe at who I just had met. Like a 12 year old girl that just saw Justin Timberlake in concert. That kind of dorkiness. Keep in mind that I am a 30 year old woman. Yes…I know…

Dennis and I had already discussed going to see them play this coming Sunday. In a previous post, I discussed how excited I was that I got to see them practicing. So yeah, I’m a nerd, but this was really cool for me.

So here’s what I ate today:

Because I’ve bee getting up so early and working out, I’ve been hungry by 10 a.m. And I mean like ravenous hungry. This morning I got hit with that hungry like my blood sugar is so low I’m going to pass out hungry. This happens way too often to me. I need to get this checked out. So I ate an apple at 10.

At around 11:30 we went to the Bombay Club in Harvard Square for an awesome brunch.

Because I of how hungry I was, I made sure to start out with a plate full of salad to help control myself. I completely recommend doing this at buffets since you’re at the mercy of bottomless amounts of food.

IMG_1931

Along with the salad I tried a corn and tomato chutney and a chickpea with potato mixture. The chickpeas were way too salty for me. I ate most of this plate before making my way to the real food.

IMG_1932

On this plate I had about a cup of rice topped with Daal Bukhara, on the side a small portion of palak paneer, and methi aloo. There was also some Indian Salad which is a side of onions and chilies sprinkled with homemade masala (as an accompaniment) I ate everything but the potatoes, which were also too salty for me.

This lunch was rockin! But it was a little spicy, which called for a nice sweet dessert. Rice pudding. A very very small portion because this stuff is no joke.

IMG_1934

Yum!

By 3:30 I was starting to get that “sugar low” feeling again, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to make it home (I was leaving at 4) so I heated up a baked potato (which I planned on having for lunch) and topped it with 2 tablespoons of roasted garlic hummus and my sprouted bean mix. This was AWESOME!

IMG_1936

And it was the perfect snack.

When I got home I found out that Dennis’s flight home was cancelled (UGH!) so I made dinner for one. A KERF bean burger topped with Swiss cheese on toasted sesame Ezekiel bread with my fresh beets and beet greens.

IMG_1938

I ate the entire burger, about 3/4 of the beets and did not like the greens. They were too bitter for me. But the fresh beets were rockin. I’ll definitely be buying more of these guys.

IMG_1939

My mom told me fresh beets sometimes turns your urine red…something to look out for...hahaha

I’m not sure I’ll be able to eat anything else for the rest of the evening. You know I’m full when there’s no room for dessert!

OK so here’s the question of the night:

Have you met anyone famous? Tell me your story!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment