Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just my luck

Well Hello there!

So I found out that my foot injury is quite possibly a stress fracture and I’m very upset about it. The pain has gotten pretty bad but again, it’s not really PAIN so much as it is ACHE. I ache from the top of my foot all the way up my shin, knee, and hip. My ankle aches too. When I walk it hurts but not enough to keep me from being able to walk completely. I went for a walk last night and realized I did myself much more damage, but I really was feeling better and felt OK enough to go for it.

My problem is that I don’t know how to stay still. I feel miserable when I can’t be active, and this kind of injury means staying put. I need to find a way to be able to get my heart rate up and burn calories with this injury. Not so much for fear of gaining weight as much as just feeling good. I figure I can do some yoga (and I’m sure I’ll get some great yoga advice from Polly) but I also like to get my heart rate up as much as I can. Any suggestions out there? Or am I just being silly?

I’m looking into an orthopedic so I can get an MRI and, if necessary, a cast or walking boot.

On my way home from work today a guy ran by me and I got really pissed...if I can't run neither can you!!!! (kidding of course...kind of...) So I know I have to take immediate action so I can heal from this as quickly as possible. AND to make matters worse I got two things in the mail today about upcoming races and one pamphlet about the Team Challenge Chrons and Colitis 1/2 marathon in December. Granted I have plenty of time for that, but I still need to get healed before I can even think of starting this training program!!

Stupid foot.

Oh and this is pretty cool….I got a copy of the Utica Observer-Dispatch sent to me with highlights of the Utica Boilermaker. It has a few stories about the race and all of the race results.

IMG_2381 IMG_2382

IMG_2389 There’s my name!!

I’m so happy I was finally able to finish this race and I can’t wait until next year!!!

Moving along….
I decided to try another veggie crockpot recipe. This one was a vegan mac and cheese and I was really excited to give it a shot.

Mac and Cheese Florentine (by Robin Robinson’s Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker)

IMG_2375

IMG_2380

IMG_2379

OK so this recipe is fairly long so I won’t type it all out but I will say that my “cheese” mixture consisted of white beans and raw cashews with some salt, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, lemon juice, nutmeg, and a medium sized onion, cooked and chopped (and spinach of course.) I will have to say that it lacked …umm flavor…but that’s because it called for a lot of water and no garlic.
I should have known better.
Next time I try this recipe I will use garlic and soy milk instead of water (or just say screw the vegan part and use real milk) but I really liked how healthy it was (mix of cashews and beans gives it a ton of protein and the spinach adds green power) and honestly with a few tweaks I think this will turn out fab. Dennis was not happy that there was no cheese in it so he shredded up some cheddah and added it himself. He said it made a huge difference. (reallllyyy???)

I’m all about trying new things and being healthy, but it’s true: some things just can’t be replaced. I will definitely try this recipe again but I will make sure to put some kind of milk in it at least!

I’m off to bum more about my foot. (have I already told you that I’m really upset about this??)

No comments:

Post a Comment