Monday, August 31, 2009

Homemade pizza dough FAIL

You know when you get a craving for something and then something happens to keep you from getting it in your tummy? I had all the ingredients for my Sunday homemade pizza sitting in my fridge ready to go, but I realized somehow the dough went bad. The oven was already pre-heated and my toppings were all ready cut. What the heck am I going to do now?
Why, make my own dough that’s what!

On a scale of 1-10, I’d say I’m about an 8 in the kitchen. I’m a pretty good cook and an even better baker. So I thought making my own dough shouldn’t be THAT hard. I’ve always been afraid to make my own dough for some reason, so there’s no better time than now.

I found this quick no rise recipe in my favorites (I think for some reason I got this from Polly but I’m not 100% sure) It seemed easy enough:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. Top as desired.
  2. Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.

This recipe sounds like it would be great if followed correctly. However, I thought it would be a good idea to use half regular flour with half whole wheat. This was mistake number one.
It didn’t say to knead or anything. So I didn’t. Mistake number 2.
And I don’t think one cup of water was enough (since whole wheat four absorbs more water than all purpose, but of course I didn’t know that until after the fact.) Mistake number 3.

As I was rolling everything out I realized I was in trouble. (No picture, the camera was charging at this point) It wasn’t a pretty sight—it wasn’t stretching, it was breaking apart instead. But I’m a fighter so dammit, this was going to work. I don’t like to waste food.

So I give to you, pizza dough fail pizza…with dough that ended up tasting more like bread than pizza crust.

IMG_0027

IMG_0031

IMG_0034
Can you see how doughy like bread this looks? What a sad looking pizza I made.

Next time I’ll follow a real whole wheat pizza dough recipe. Anyone have an easy, no crazy dough utensils necessary whole wheat dough recipe? I honestly don’t want to deal with machines and waiting for things to rise (although I will wait the 20 minutes to rise if I have to.)

I ate two slices but it wasn’t really good. <Sigh.> I’ve learned my lesson: Don’t try to substitute anything while you’re making dough!!!

*Sidenote* Weird Al is one funny mutha...
“Can’t you see I’m white and nerdy? Look at me I’m white and nerdy….”

1 comment:

  1. Awww sorry your dough didn't come out right! Looks good though! :)

    ReplyDelete