Monday, September 14, 2009

20 minutes to quick, colorful, and yum

Hello!
As I said yesterday, I’m trying to stir things up in the kitchen. So here’s a quick and easy weeknight recipe for ya’ll.

Colorful whole wheat spirals (One serving)

  • 1/2 cup whole wheat spiral pasta
  • 1/3 cup chopped sweet onions
  • Handful sliced portabella mushrooms
  • Two big handfuls of spinach and arugula
  • 1/2 cubed sweet potato, cooked in the microwave first for 5 minutes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp flax seeds
  • 1/3 cup marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Marinara)
  • 1 oz. goat cheese crumbles

Directions:
Boil your water and add pasta. While pasta is cooking, place sweet potato in the microwave for 5 minutes. (If you don’t have one, just pop it in the oven for 25 minutes, but be sure to cut it in half so it cooks faster) Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Add veggies and cook. When sweet potato is done, cube it and add it to your veggie mix. Add marinara. Add flax. When your pasta is al dente, add pasta and mix all together in the pan.
Plate it and then add cheese. Eat.

IMG_0315
I was surprised at how good it was! But I will admit, it didn’t need the goat cheese. I mean, it as great but it would have been better without it.

IMG_0314

Super good.

Still waiting to hear about our NOVA address. I really don’t know how many more sleepless nights I can handle. It’s been really stressful not knowing if we’ll have a place to live before Mr. Fitch starts his new job. Although it’s a virtue, being patient really sucks.

Until then….

2 comments:

  1. I had something at a restaurant very similar to this dish this past weekend, except instead of the pasta it was wild and brown rice. Sounds delish! I think I would have liked feta instead of goat.

    I can't believe you're moving! I'll miss you Boston blog friend but will continue to stay in touch through blogging... maybe even getting together for a race.

    Hope your move goes wonderfully and smoothly.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better without goat cheese? Really? I didn't think such a thing was possible. ;)

    My husband loves mixing sweet potato into his marinara, and I think he would love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Hope everything works out with the housing situation!

    ReplyDelete