Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Changing your workout routine

Sometimes I get stuck in a workout routine rut, where I decide I like the way something works and then I plainly stick to it. I do this with food too…when I find something I like, I eat it often. Sometimes I get sick of it and change things up but ultimately I end up going back to it after a short break.

With workouts, however, change is good. You have to keep yourself challenged or else you’ll get bored. And although I know this (and I’m sure you all do as well) we need to be reminded to step outside the box and try something new.

Well, not that this is really new, but it’s different and I can already feel the soreness.

I ran to the gym, set up mini stations, and then ran home. My mini sessions kicked my arse, and running home afterward really was the kicker. Here’s what I did:

Ran 1.7 miles to gym.
At the gym, I grabbed a balance ball, Bosu ball, 10 pound weights, and a 9 pound body bar. On the balance ball I did:

  • 15 biceps curls
  • 20 sit-ups while holding the balance bar, extending my arms out with each lift
  • 20 oblique crunches, holding balance bar
  • 10 overhead shoulder raises (I could be making this term up)

Then I did 10 25-pound lat pull downs and 10 leg lunges on the Buso ball with 5 pound weight.

Repeat 3 times. Phew! Then I ran home. Double Phew!

I really liked the stations, and I also liked breaking up the run. Today I felt a little sore but not enough to make me feel like I overdid it. I’m always trying to find new ways to break out of the “norm” so if there are any suggestions, please feel free to share!

Lunch was inspired by these new tortillas. Whole wheat, all natural and only 80 calories per tortilla.

IMG_0447 
First I baked a small chicken breast in the oven for 30 minutes on 350. Then, in a pan, I poured a dash of olive oil and cooked up fresh garlic, arugula and spinach. Then sliced up a half of a small avocado, (it’s under the greens!) put the greens on top…

IMG_0446

IMG_0448
Added the chicken and there you go. I didn’t take a picture of it all wrapped up because … well … I got into a fight with the tortilla and the tortilla won. It wasn’t pretty.
The only things I would have changed would have been to cook the tortilla (it tasted so much better when I tried it again) and I need a milder flavored olive oil. This is extra virgin and it’s really strong. However, this was a very good, filling, tasty and nutritious meals and perfect compliment to my workout.

Did any of you see L.L. Cool J on the new series of NCIS? Now he’s someone I could use some workout tips from…

No comments:

Post a Comment