Saturday, October 24, 2009

Lingerie parties are funny (and tips to staying away from the party food)

I got a text from our friend Kelly asking me if I wanted to go to a Lingerie Party (not quite her words but for blog purposes, let’s say that’s what she said) My response? “Lingerie party? Hmmm…never been to one..but why the hell not?”

Let me tell you something..if you’ve never been to one of these parties, you must go. It was one of the funniest things I’ve ever experienced. My face was so red and I laughed so hard at these ladies trying to figure out how certain things worked…wow. Funny way to spend my Friday night.

The party was given by Slumber Parties, Inc. and our party consultant’s name was Tiffany. She was hilarious. Now ladies, I know just reading this might be making you blush, but if you’re looking for a fun way to spend time with your girlfriends, have one of these parties. I seriously laughed the entire time.

The host of the evening was very hospitable and provided us with wine, hors d'oeuvres, plenty of desserts, and did I mention wine? Since I was driving I was sure to sip my small glass of Cabernet very, very slowly while drinking water in between.

buffalo chickendip
Buffalo chicken dip with bagel chips


Chips and guacamole

veggie platter

veggie platter (replaced picture because my cell phone camera sucks)

mini egg rolls

There was so much more food that I couldn’t get pictures of because of the camera situation. You get the idea.

The party started at 7, so at around 5 I made myself a nice breakfast for dinner. Thanks to HEAB, I made myself some kick-ass home made pumpkin butter .. it was so good that I just HAD to have some for dinner. (For HEAB’s pumpkin butter recipe, click here)
I made a few changes: Instead of kabocha squash I used a can of Trader Joe’s Organic Pumpkin, instead of stevia I used a tsp. of agave nectar, and I used pumpkin pie spice and omitted the cardamom, only because I didn’t have any.

I present to you: Egg white Ezekiel French Toast
I used:

  • 2 slices of sesame Ezekiel bread
  • 2 egg whites
  • splash of soy milk
  • splash vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tbsp. flax seed
  • 1 tsp. coconut oil
  • Pam
  • 1 tsp PB

Heat pan on medium heat. Beat egg whites until fluffy. Add everything else. Mix. Soak your bread. Fry in pan with coconut oil and some Pam for extra coating. Top with small slather of PB and a large heaping spoonful (or tw0) of pumpkin butter. Eat. Yum.

This kept me so full for about 4 to 5 hours. Here’s why:
Protein. The egg whites and Ezekiel bread provide a huge amount of protein. One slice of Ezekiel bread provides 4 grams of it.
Good Fat. Flax seeds and PB give you satiety. Coconut oil helps in this dept. as well.
Pumpkin. I don’t know about you, but whenever I add pumpkin to my oats, it keeps me fuller longer. Pumpkins have tons of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants…and they taste amazing. Enough said.

Try it. You will not be disappointed. Ann—you can find Ezekiel Bread at Solstice!!

I will admit, I got pretty hungry by 10, so I snacked on the veggies, guac, and a few chips and salsa. And I may have had a mini meatball, a few bagel chips and a mini eggroll too…but trust me, it could have been much worse. Eating before hand kept me away from nibbling, and saved me about 1000 calories. And because I added sweet to my dinner, I had absolutely no desire to hit up the brownies, sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate cake that were staring me in the face all night. Seriously—the old Nicole would never have been able to pass that up.

On tonight’s agenda? This. And yes, this means missing the baseball game…I may have given some people permission to text me during the event to keep me posted…

No comments:

Post a Comment