Monday, November 16, 2009

Grind your flax

First and foremost, after being unemployed for 8 months, I finally found a job. I’m really excited since we just moved to the DC area in September. It only took me 7 weeks, which is amazing! I start tomorrow, so I must get to bed soon.

To celebrate the job, we went bowling. Although it had been four years since we’d bowled, and Dennis has yet to get all of his strength back, I’ll try not to rub it in TOO much that I…ahem..kicked his ass at all four games…I bowled a 123, 117, 134, and 191! Damn I rock. No, seriously.

bowling  funny-pictures-bowling-ball-cat
(ha! kitty bowling ball..kinda like Marley)

I woke up a little sore on Saturday morning from 2 hours of flinging a 12 pound ball around (and kicking some serious ass) and met my running group at 8 a.m. I didn’t have a goal in mind…I just figured I’d run for an hour or so. But then I found a group to pace with and ended up losing track of everything. We talked about Boston, living in Northern VA, jobs, etc., and all of a sudden, I hit a wall.

At mile 6 I had to let the group go ahead of me and at the next water stop I asked for a ride back to the beginning of the trail. I ate some raisins, which really helped, so I think I just was under fueled. Ugh. Some people can’t eat a large meal before they run, but if I don’t, I just run out of gas. Plain and simple. 

This is where the flax comes into play.

I was talking to one of the runners about flax seeds and how I love to put them in my oatmeal. His response?
“Umm, I hate to be gross, but umm, they kind of don’t do anything for you…whole.” I laughed so hard that he almost got embarrassed. Then he said, “No seriously, I hate to be gross, but they, umm, pass right through you…you know what I mean?”
"You mean like corn?”
"Yes, like corn.”

Yes, TMI, but I didn’t think about that. He told me that he makes sure to grind his flax for that very reason, so I’ve been doing the same ever since. I actually like it better…the flavor pops, so to speak. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but now that I’ve started grinding my flax, there’s no turning back.

Oh and we went and looked at cameras today, so hopefully I’ll have a new one soon.

Sunday we spent our day walking around DC with some friends from home. We didn’t realize how close we are to downtown DC…it took us 12 minutes to get into the city. We hit up the Holocaust Museum (I had been there before..every time you go it’s a different experience. Amazing.) And we did a bunch of other touristy stuff….like this…

Suzanne, Danielle, me NY
Giving some NY love

me and dennis DC 
By the reflecting pool

It was 74 and gorgeous. I was sweating in my long sleeved shirt. We must have walked about 6 miles. Oh and did I mention I got up and took a spin class at 8:30 Sunday morning? Yeah, my legs were very tired after this weekend.

First day of work in less than 12 hours…

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Congrats on the job!!! That's fabulous news. Hope it's going well.

    I grind my flax too ;)

    ReplyDelete