Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas lasagna

Not just any lasagna—butternut squash lasagna.

Let me just start out by saying that I hate making lasagna. Dennis makes a kick ass lasagna. Since he loves eating it I tell him if he wants it, he has to make it. 
I found this recipe a while back and have been dying to try it, so when I suggested it for Christmas dinner Dennis said, “Sure, I’ll eat butternut squash lasagna---if you make it.”

Damn. I got burned with my own philosophy.

It took me about an hour to assemble and an hour to cook (not including the sauce that took me about 2 hours to make) but it was well worth the trouble.

Butternut Squash Lasagna

butternut squash lasagna 1

I adapted this recipe from Cooking Light. You can access the original recipe here.
I basically halved the recipe. It called for 2 8x8 pans, and since there are only two of us and one small, mostly packed freezer, I decided one would be plenty.

As I was layering everything in my pan, I kept saying, “There’s no way all this stuff is going to FIT!” but it did. Be sure to put a cookie sheet underneath to catch the drippings. I didn’t do this, so halfway through I had to pull it out and clean out the oven (did I say I had to? I meant Dennis had to…)

butternut squash lasagna uncooked
I replaced the provolone cheese with fresh mozzarella and added some to the top with the fresh grated parmesan.
Also, I only used one 15 ounce carton of ricotta, the part skim kind.

butternut squash lasagna 4

So yeah, this was GOOD. I highly recommend this recipe. I’d never made lasagna before this, and even with my aforementioned hatred of making lasagna, I would make this again.

Merry Christmas ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment