Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Running in the dark

I wish I had the balls to run outside in the dark. Shorter days make for darker runs and I just don’t feel safe doing it.

people running at night

I see people doing it all the time on my way home from work. Fairfax County, VA is notorious for its amazing bike/running trails, and the people around here don’t mess around. I just can’t do it. Since I run alone 99% of the time, I just don’t feel safe. Dennis said he saw a woman running on the Mt. Vernon trail a few weeks ago at 6:30 in the morning and it was pitch black outside. He said, “I couldn’t believe I saw someone running out there—and then I realized she was a woman…” He went on to say how unsafe it is and how he likes the fact that I’m too scared to do it myself.

If I could only find a running partner…

But running on the treadmill…sucks. I run intervals, I run hills, I change it up, but I just never really feel as happy as when I run outside. And I’m sure I’m not alone.

I spent so much time focusing on my running that I’ve forgotten how to enjoy other things, like spinning. I’m looking for some suggestions. How do you guys deal with the dog days of winter?

Grr…if only skiing and snowboarding weren’t so expensive!

2 comments:

  1. I sacked up and bought a treadmill! I play reruns of the Office, or rent a movie and watch while running. I've also set up this little stereo system where I create a new playlist for each run. I make it a certain amount of time. Then I enjoy the music, and when the playlist is done, so is my run!

    Tim and I have X-Country skis we got as a gift last year. Not sure what the snow situation is where you are, but this is a GREAT form of exercise and a way to get out and enjoy the winter weather. You can also rent these at ski shops (way cheaper than buying) and you don't need any ski lift tickets! It's great.

    Have a great Thursday! :-)

    And no running in the dark!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I carry pepper spray with me if I ever run in the morning & the sun isn't completely up. Thankfully, I've never had to use it :)

    ReplyDelete