Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It spoke, I listened

There was a time where if I had set out to run 5 miles, you better be sure that come hell or high water I was running that damn 5 miles. Whether or not I was feeling well during the run, I made sure I finished because I didn’t want to fail. What I didn’t realize was that this was worse than not running at all.

So Monday morning when I looked out the window and saw the sun shining and people running with shorts and t-shirts (it was in the mid 50s) I thought, “I’ll run 5 miles today.” But my body didn’t think that was a good idea.

I blame this on the fact that when I woke up I was ravenous, so I made some oat bran. I took off about an hour later, so my body clearly was not ready for a 5 mile run. I slowed down my pace and banged out 4 miles instead of 5, and I’m really glad I did. I felt tired and sluggish all day long, so maybe my body was trying to tell me something.

IMG_0181
Along my route. I can’t wait until the leaves grow back on the trees!

Oh, and my Garmin foot pad is working again, but now the challenge is trying to get it to clock my pace by mile rather than by the whole workout. It’s set to “Auto Lap” so I’m not sure why it’s not working.

Stats: 4 miles, 36:03. Average pace: 8:58


No comments:

Post a Comment