Monday, January 18, 2010

Who doesn’t love brownies?

I know I’m on an almond flour kick, but when I find something I like, I try to play around with it until I get it right. Here’s what I came up with.

A few weeks back I found a pound bag of slivered almonds for $4.99 at my grocery store. I figured the could come in handy for something sometime down the line, so I bought them.

slivered almonds

What did I find? They make some kick ass almond flour.

I was using Trader Joe’s almond meal, which was much more course than regular flour, but seemed to work OK in my recipes. I didn’t like the way my pancakes came out, but my cookies came out fine.

almond-meal

So when I headed over to a dinner party at our friend Suzanne’s house Saturday night, I knew that making brownies were in order. But not just any brownies, of course.

My brownies contained:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup agave nectar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder (I will omit this next time)
  • 1/3 cup almond flour
  • 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool.
  2. Meanwhile, grease an 8x8x2 inch baking pan; set aside. Stir agave into cooled chocolate mixture in saucepan. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each additional just ntil combined. Stir in vanilla
  3. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, then quickly pour batter into pan. You’ll see the chocolate chips will start to melt so swirl the top for fun effect.
  4. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.  Eat and enjoy.

IMG_0172

These were a little cakey for my liking, but I think it’s because I used the baking powder. However, they were a hit at the party and NO ONE KNEW I used whole wheat and almond flour, and agave instead of sugar.

IMG_0178

I surprised myself with how tasty they came out. Next time I will also use baking chocolate squares to get the fudgy effect but I only had the powder on hand.

Oh and I got my car back. A new radiator, fixed head gasket, “new” engine, and $6K later, here’s to not being stranded on the highway (or anywhere for that matter) for a while. 

2 comments: