Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hip flexor issues

hip-pain-hip-flexor

I was fortunate enough to make it to the gym this morning despite my fear of losing my parking spot. I’m glad I went though because there were tons of spots open when I got back. If I hadn’t gone, I would have been one cranky Latina…and well, we can get pretty feisty sometimes.

I had a hard time getting into my run this morning. I’ve been finding that I have to warm up longer at a slower speed before I can get into my groove. I’m not sure if it’s just because of the weather or what, but once I got into full force, I was feeling OK.

That’s until I stopped.

I did a five minute cool down, 1/2 of which was walking, and that’s when I felt it. This nagging pain in my hip/groin/quad area that I just can’t put a finger on. What the hell is this? I’m not 100% sure if it’s my hip flexor or not, but I’m thinking that’s where it is. Also, I’ve had an on again, off again muscle spasm in said quad. I’m not sure if this is related but, it’s a symptom so if you’re out there reading this, let me know what you think. I’ve iced the area a few times today to help keep injury to a minimum. Hopefully this will help.

I’m feeing frustrated because ever since I got the stress fracture in my foot over the summer, running on the treadmill has been causing me pain. Not EVERY time but about 85% of the time. So stop running on the treadmill silly! Well, it’s not that easy.

Yesterday I ran outside and felt fine. No issues in the foot, and this hip thing didn’t bother me. And since I’m training for some big races this year, I obviously HAVE to run on the treadmill some don’t I?

I’ve been using the elliptical for at least half of my workouts to break it up and keep myself injury free, and it looks like I’m going to have to use it a little more. I guess using the elliptical is better than not being able to work out at all, so I’m staying off the dreadmill for a while.

UGH.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: STUPID SNOW! And stupid Dreadmill.

We’re anticipating another 8-12 inches of snow tonight and all day tomorrow. Here we go again!

1 comment:

  1. Hip flexor issues! I am in almost the same situation. I was two weeks into preparing to do a half marathon at the end of March. I started running outdoors instead of on the treadmill and I think dodging ice and snow and going laterally put strain on it. I think it is strained. I had to lift my leg to get out of the shower one day. I am seeing a doctor Monday. I am soooo frustrated! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete