Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Homemade honey wheat bread …. with a little help from my friend

Day five of being snowed in called for something fun to keep myself from going crazy. We had some insane blizzard like conditions outside. Visibility was nil, and it was so windy that I feared we’d lose power.

IMG_0224  IMG_0226

IMG_0228 IMG_0223

So when my neighbor Sue mentioned she wanted to make homemade bread, I was all over it.

I’ve tried making bread before and I’ve never been 100% satisfied with the way it’s turned out. That is, until today. This bread was so freaking good, I can’t believe I didn’t buy it at a fancy bakery. Really. It’s that good. And what I like about it most is that it’s sweetened naturally.

We took the recipe from www.bigoven.com. It took us about 3 hours from start to finish to make it but it was SO worth it.

Ingredients

Preparation

In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat milk, water, honey, butter and salt to 120 degrees F-130 degrees F.

IMG_0232

Add to flour mixture.

Blend on low speed until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.  (We actually used a wooden spoon and our hands for this)

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.

IMG_0236 

Almost….

IMG_0237

Done!

IMG_0239

Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.

IMG_0240

Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

IMG_0241

Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves; place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. (We placed them on my baking stone which I somehow forgot to photograph)

IMG_0243

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. We added some slits to the dough to make it look authentic..or something like that. Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

IMG_0245

IMG_0246

I don’t care who you are. You will LOVE this bread. I tried a piece with some butter, and a small sliver with some PB, and both were fabulous.  This would be good as a sandwich bread, eaten with eggs…you name it. And it has a slightly sweet taste from the honey, but not overbearing in any way. It’s a wheat bread but it’s not overpowering, so if you’re not a fan of wheat, you’ll still love it. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. OMG that loaf looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that bread looks wonderful! I bet it made the house smell brilliantly too! I must confess that I have never made homemade bread - except for in my bread maker but that doesn't really count?!

    ReplyDelete