Sunday, June 20, 2010

Spiedie season

The best part about having a grill is not having to cook. Dennis is the grill master and loves putting his talents to work behind our Weber charcoal grill. That’s right, I said charcoal. We like it better….ok…we couldn’t afford the one we really wanted….

image

We’ll make due with the one we have…

image

Anyway, since the weather has gotten warmer (or should I say down right sweltering in Northern VA) we’ve been spending a lot of time eating off the grill…and I love it. Food just tastes so much better when it’s grilled, especially spiedies.

What are spiedie you ask? Well if you’re not from central NY you wouldn’t know.

According to Wikipedia

The spiedie (pronounced /ˈspiːdi/ "speedy") is a dish local to Greater Binghamton in the Southern Tier of New York State, and somewhat more broadly known and enjoyed throughout Central New York state.[1] Spiedie consists of cubes of chicken or pork, but it may also be made from lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer (sometimes for as long as two weeks under a controlled environment) in a special marinade, then grilled carefully on spits (if steel skewers are used, they are called "spiedie rods") over a charcoal pit.
The freshly prepared cubes are served on soft Italian bread or a
submarine roll, skewer and all, and sometimes drizzled with fresh marinade. The marinade recipe varies, usually involving olive oil, vinegar, and a variety of Italian spices and fresh mint.

And oh are they good.

image 

Since we live near a Wegman’s (which is based out of Rochester, NY) we can find our favorite spiedie sauce

image

I would say 90% of what we barbecue includes this sauce. On veggies, salmon, pork, you name it. It’s THAT good. And it’s gluten free :)

On a sidenote: When I woke up this morning, I realized that in 7 days I will be in Boston running my first 1/2 marathon for Crohn’s and Colitis. This will be a very easy taper week with very clean eating and lots of water. Any suggestions of how I should train this week? Should I stay away from all running or should I do a few easy 20-30 minute runs? Should I stay away from strength training?

Happy Grilling!

2 comments:

  1. oooh you must be getting excited re your race!!! In the week before my races I fit in one 5 km run or so, then make sure to have 2 to 3 full days OFF before the actual race...works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!! I missed you! I agree with Lisa . . . one or two easy runs tops and then take it easy so you have fresh legs for your big day (which you will rock by the way : )
    Sending loads of positive energy and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete