Sunday, July 11, 2010

Weekend wrap-up: A Nats game and Tandoori chicken curry salad

I swear I blinked this entire weekend away. Friday I went to the Nationals game to see Stephen Strasburg pitch (he’s doing great things for this team!) I’m not at Nats fan (I’m sure you all know by now that I’m a proud NY Yankees fan and have been since I was born) but I love baseball and had been dying to see him pitch. Nationals Stadium is really nice!

image

It was a last minute decision so my co workers and I paid $5 for standing room only seats. (Yes that’s granite….at a baseball stadium. Nuts if you ask me) We were kind of far but it really wasn’t that bad. It was a gorgeous night for baseball.

Saturday included shopping and dinner at a new (to us) Indian restaurant. I ordered Tandoori Chicken and brought the leftovers home. When lunchtime came around today, I wasn’t sure I wanted to eat just plain chicken, and I was feeling too lazy to cook up some rice. And thus, tandoori chicken salad was born.

I used:

  • 2 pieces of leftover tandoori chicken (one small breast and and small thigh)

image

  • about 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 red onion
  • small handful of cashews, chopped
  • mustard powder, to taste
  • cumin powder, to taste
  • sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Mixed it up….

image

Placed on GF almond bread….

image

Not too shabby!

Being taken into consideration

I’ve been Gluten free since February now and I’m still trying to see what works for me. So far I’ve been feeling better but I’m still experimenting with it. Knowing that I’ve been working really hard with this, I find it really irritating when people purposefully request going to places where it would be really difficult for me to find something to eat.

A few friends had asked me to hang out with them earlier in the week, and just before I was getting ready to meet them, they texted to say the plan was for pizza.
“We know you can’t eat it, but you can have salad right?”

Well yes I can have salad but that doesn’t mean that was what I wanted. So I decided to turn them down and stay home instead. I figured it was easier than making a big deal out of it.

I kind of felt a little offended that they blatantly chose pizza knowing that I couldn’t eat it. Am I being too sensitive?

2 comments:

  1. It is a hard situation to be in. I try and suggest places where I know there is a good range of options on the menu - that will keep everyone happy! The hardest was at an Italian restaurant recently - although they did have risotto :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh risotto--why do I always forget about that?? Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete