Friday, February 4, 2011

Finding ayuerveda

I just learned about ayuerveda recently through a yogini whom I have known since junior high school. No she wasn’t a yogini then, but she is now and has been for about 10 years. She has completely transformed her life for the better by taking up yoga (and now teaching and writing about it) and the way her life has changed has made me a yoga believer.

The problem is that I have had issues with getting into yoga. I’m a mover and a shaker if you will, and I like to sweat. I love the way running makes me feel; not only because I’ve been an athlete my entire life, but just because I feel a massive sense of accomplishment when I’m done. Sure, that could be said for anything, but there’s something about running and playing competitive sports that I just explain. It just FEELS right, even when it feels wrong. Make sense?

However, this is how my life is in general. I’m uptight. I like to talk. My brain moves faster than the rest of my body does – it’s always non-stop, always thinking. I have digestive issues. I retain water easily. I am highly competitive. So what I should be doing is finding ways to balance those things. Instead of running, I should be walking. Instead of Body Pump and a lot of strength training, I should be doing more yoga and breathing exercises. Balance. Take my crazy brain and calm it down.

Ayurveda is Sanskirt for “the complete knowledge for long life.” The secret, of course, is balance, and finding your Dosha will help you determine how to find your balance.

A dosha is one of three bodily humors that make up one's constitution according to Ayurveda. If all three can exist in harmony or balance, then essentially you will be able to live your life to the fullest.

Now, this is all still new to me so if this doesn’t make sense to you, I’m sorry. I’m still learning. And I also found that I have a little bit of all three Doshas. I’m not sure if this is normal, and I’m not sure which one fits me best.

Check it out and see what fits you.

Pitta is principle of heat, digestion and all transformation in the body. Pitta is the acid secretion from the stomach, bile from the liver, and inflammation. Pitta sweat is sour causing body odor. Pitta is the color of the eyes and pitta people dream in color. Pitta also colors the skin and makes freckles and red hair. In the body, the element of fire always comes with water. Pitta is both. Pitta sense is vision but pitta also has a strong sense of smell.

  • Sharp, intelligent mind 
  • Bright, colorful eyes
  • Rosy cheeks
  • Judgmental, Critical
  • Ambitious, Workaholic
  • Yellow or Red Eyes
  • Body Odor, Acid Reflux
  • Hair Loss
  • Ulcer or acid reflux
  • Bleeds or bruises easily
  • Nearsighted, sensitive to light, migraines
  • Judgemental, critical
  • Any inflammation or sharp pain.
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Sleep before 10pm
  • Increasing bitter, astringent or sweet taste.
  • Avoid heating foods.
  • Avoid pungent spices.

Kapha is growth of tissue, production of mucous and fat, and retention of fluids. Kapha is the stable, relaxed dosha. Kapha people are great homemakers. Kapha is water and earth element. Kapha is white in color. Kapha senses are taste and smell.

  • Heavier, likes comfort and food.
  • Steady, calm, healthy, strong
  • Sweet, loving, kind, loyal, supportive

  • Lack of motivation, bored, tired
  • Slow to change, difficulty learning but good memory
  • Food cravings, possessive
  • Overweight, diabetes, edema
  • High cholesterol, blood pressure
  • Depression
  • Congestion, colds, hay Fever
  • Wake up early & exercise
  • Avoid meat, wheat and dairy after sundown
  • Avoid salty & sweet taste
  • Avoid fatty, fried foods

Vata is the principle of movement, often described as a 'wind'. Vata is a subtle dosha that goes out of balance easily. Vata people often suffer from deficiency of some type. Vata is the element of ether and air in the body. Ether has a spacey quality, and air has movement. Vata senses are hearing and touch.

  • Light body weight
  • Talk & walk quickly
  • Creative and imaginative
  • Anxiety
  • Irregular schedule & appetite
  • Gas, bloating & constipation
  • Dry skin
  • Colon disorders including constipation
  • Dryness including dry skin
  • Underweight
  • Arthritis
  • Nervous system disorders, worry, anxiety and stress.
  • And many others...
  • Routine sleeping and eating schedule
  • Keeping warm and comfortable
  • Avoid raw foods & too much cleansing
  • Increase sweet, sour, salty and pungent taste.
  • Stay hydrated
  • Keep the colon clean

(This information came from here)

What is your dosha? Do you know anything about ayuerveda?

I’m trying to find my balance because I am looking to get off the pill (again.) I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and I don’t really believe that I have it. However, the easiest and most quick way to “treat” it is with birth control. (I took a break from blogging when this happened because it wore me out) I’m ready to get my body back on track and if ayuerveda works, I’d much rather do it that way. Any of your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Super Bowl weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment