Thursday, February 17, 2011

Follow your Instincts

We’ve been getting unseasonably warm weather here in the DC metro area, and it’s been hard for me to run inside. Yesterday, I made happy hour plans with some girlfriends, so I decided to run before work to ensure I get my miles in. (Cherry Blossom 10 Miler here I come!)

It’s been getting lighter earlier too, which made this run especially easy for me. One of my favorite things about running in the morning is watching the sun rise. The sky lights up this orangey color, the birds start chirping, and it’s just peaceful to me.

image

But when you’re out there alone, it can make for a scary run.

image

(Isn’t that a cool photo? I got it from here)

I live in a pretty densely populated area, so there are always people out and about either driving or waiting for a bus in the morning, so I wasn’t worried about safety … until I got to a park that I love running through. It’s right next to a high school and it’s usually packed with people running and walking. As I came around the corner, I entered the park like usual and started running down the trail – and then it hit me: I’m the only one here.

One thing I DIDN’T do was run with my headphones. I figured I was already putting myself at risk by running in the morning when it was still slightly dark out, so I didn’t need the extra risk of not being tuned into my surroundings. As I ran farther down the trial and saw the glow of the sun peeping through the trees, I realized that I was running further into the woods. An eerie feeling washed over me and without even realizing it, I turned around and started sprinting back to the street.

I don’t know about you, but even though I cut my run short by a mile, I felt much better being safe than sorry. I just have to make that mile up later on this week.

Do you run/walk outside in the morning before the sun comes up? Do you feel it’s safer than at night?

No comments:

Post a Comment