Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pepperoni Roll and a Vday (run) Fail

First off, as you can see I’ve made some changes to my blog. I added an About Me page (finally!) and will be working on a recipes tab as well. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Second, I hate Valentine’s Day. I do, however, enjoy an excuse to make something festive. Red Velvet cake? Sure! Chocolate fondue? Why not? I, however, found out that a friend of mine can’t make the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this year and asked if I would be willing to take her bib. (Umm, yes please!) This means that running is a priority since I only have about 6 weeks to prep for this. And since I’ve been doing a lot more Body Pump and spinning than running these past 6 weeks, I need to get my butt in gear pronto.

So instead of going straight home from work to have a nice evening with D, I decided to trek my sore behind to the gym. Why sore? Because Body Pump is kicking my ass, and I just upped my weights in Sunday’s class.
Holy cow did I struggle through this run.

Do you suffer from treadmill envy? I sure do. If I know there are people around me that can see my speed, I turn it up. If I know the person next to me is running faster than I am, I’ll turn it up. It’s stupid. I’m competitive. But yesterday, I was feeling like running at a 12 minute mile pace was perfect for me … and I just couldn’t bring myself to run that slow. My legs were like bricks, my back and legs were sooo soorree…. but God forbid I let anyone see me running with a 5.5 on the treadmill. Helllls no. I’m a runner!! What would they think?? “Oh, well if I was running that slow I’d be able to run too!”

Why do I care?

On to the Pepperoni Bread. (it’s kinda red, no?) And since I was a complete mess after my failed run, I was no good to do anything more than making this for dinner.

IMG_1420

 You can make the dough part of this ahead of time (which I did) and just add the filling, roll up and bake when you’re ready. It’s pretty easy once the dough is made, and after I tweak things I will come at you with a better recipe. For now, though, this will do.

INGREDIENTS: (makes two loaves)

Source Grandma's little red book
Submitted by Pualani Anzelmo Wagner


* 1 package active dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water 110*
* 1 cup warm milk 110*
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
* 1 cup thinly sliced pepperoni (or Turkey pepperoni .. still just as tasty but without all that grease dripping down your arm)  
* 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
* 1 egg and a little water mixed together
* Sesame seeds for sprinkling on top (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water and let stand for 5 minutes to soften
Stir in milk, sugar, salt and oil. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix to blend. Stir in 1 1/2 cups more flour
Then add remaining flour in bowl and mix. (I did this with my hands)
Place on a floured flat surface and knead dough until elastic (about 5-6 minutes)
Then cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 1 hour  
Punch dough down, turn out onto floured surface and divide in half
Grease baking sheet
Flatten dough like a pizza
Add all above mixture on the top of the bread

IMG_1417 

Roll like a jelly roll, pinch edges

IMG_1421

Take egg and water mixture and wipe on the top of the bread roll, and bake 375 for 20 to 25 minutes

IMG_1427

IMG_1435

Looks good no? It was very doughy and I was a little disappointed. Dennis loved it though and has already asked me to make it again, so I’m going to have to play around with the dough a little bit.

Have you had a pepperoni roll before? Apparently it’s THE food of West Virginia. I grew up eating them in NY, but whatevs.

No comments:

Post a Comment